Go to the town office

Request a marriage license application.

Complete the application. You'll be required to show photo ID and certified copies of both of your birth certificates. If this isn't the first marriage for one of you, provide a certified copy of your divorce, or a death certificate of the last spouse.

Pay the fee.

Pick up your marriage license (the former three-day waiting period has been eliminated). The license is good in any town (the former stipulation that the license only be used in the town in which it was obtained has been eliminated).

Both parties must be at least 18 years of age. If both of you are residents of Maine , you both must register with the town or city clerk in the town either one of you lives in. You don't need to register or apply in both towns if you live in different towns. If one of you is from out of state, then you both register in the Maine town where one of you lives. If neither of you is a resident of Maine , you may apply for a marriage license in any town. It doesn't have to be the town you plan to get married in.

Marriage licenses are good for 90 days

Marriages may be performed in Maine by ordained ministers; those licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body; judges or justices (residents of Maine only); lawyers admitted to the Maine bar (residents of Maine only); and Maine Notaries. Maine does not have Justices of the Peace. Out-of-state Notaries and Justices of the Peace cannot officiate weddings in Maine .

Home | Links | Services | Contact